Friday 25 February 2011

Scanned early photographs..

In 1965, 19 years old, I left South Africa, my birthplace.
Throwing at Morar Pottery, Morar, Invernessshire - about 1967
 I moved to remote Morar on the west coast of Scotland, and rented a huge workshop, formerly a training centre, from The "Highland Home Industries". From the wheel I had a view over the  Morar River's estuary, which filled and emptied with the tide. The work I made was sold in the chain of craft shops the HHI ran in the Highlands and in Edinburgh.

 I moved to London in 1968
Throwing jug on kickwheel, Greenwich Studios, London, about 1970

I rented the first floor of Greenwich Studios, a victorian shop building at the bottom of Blackheath Hill, from Alan Wallwork, who had moved his pottery to Somerset. Here I produced quantities of once-fired "medieval" loving cups for a restuarant in St Martins Lane. Saving all the money from this enabled me to buy the Magpie, a former pub on the Suffolk - Norfolk border.

Same kick wheel, Magpie, Fersfield, Norfolk. 1976

On the wheel: coffee cups and coffee pots for David Mellor Shop, Sloane Square, London 
My workshop was in an old stable, and the same self-built wheel produced quantities of teapots, coffeepots and 100's of candlesticks - the biggest seller.
I sold the Magpie in 1980, after I had moved to Denmark.




1 comment:

John said...

Great photos, Priscilla! documenting our histories is both fascinating and important.

John