Tuesday 27 April 2010

Firing tomorrow

Tomorrow I am going down to Skælskør to add small kiln-filler pots to a firing of the Bourry Box kiln - Skælskør Express.
One way of getting back into the swing of things, after a longish period of non-woodfiring -  when I have been making insect cups and bowls which I could not risk to the blanket-effect carbon-trapping the kiln is justly famous for. But now I have the urge to try saggar firing - not in this next firing - (no room for bulky saggars), but soon I will be firing much-drawn-on work in the wood kiln, in saggars, still trying for the elusive "something" to lift them from the banal.....

2 comments:

Craig Edwards said...

Good fires! A good wood firing is always a way to keep the juices flowing!!

John said...

Best of luck with it. Every time I see a picture of that Skælskør train I think that I need to do something to get you to increase the firebox height - you'd have an easier time of it if there was just a little more head room. It will work as is - all of the early versions were short - you just have to be a little more diligent.